Saturday, March 20, 2010

Talkin Shop


Yep, my beauty shop is open for business. We've started our new routine and I'm a serious beginner, but I'm getting better. The top photo was my first attempt at a full head of twists. They're pretty darn cute. I did them after Avena fell asleep and they took a l...o...n...g time. They lasted four days, and then Avena wore a twist-out for the next two days (second photo). The twist-out survived the first night of sleep pretty well, but it got fuzzy on night number two. She is back in twists now, and I'm hoping to make them last a little longer. To that end, I made her a satin sleep cap (third photo). It turned out to be way too hot, and created a little dome of humidity on her head (not the desired result!). So, I resisted my natural urge to be crafty, and decided to consult the fine folks at Sally Beauty Supply. She's been wearing the scarf/wrap that I bought there the last couple nights (last photo) and it seems to be doing the trick.
Avena and I went out for frozen yogurt after our Sally stop, and an African-American woman that was getting out of her car saw Avena and said, "Her hair is so pretty." I said, "Thanks, it's only the second time I've done her twists, so I'm still learning." The woman looked at me like I had three heads and said, "YOU did that?" Success! I love this lady!

1 comment:

  1. Great job on the twists! They are really cute. I haven't tried doing hair while baby is sleeping...instead I've resorted to Backyardigans and throwing crackers on her booster seat tray.

    The sleep cap is precious, but I love the wrap, too! Have you checked out Nadia's Sleep caps? I got a pair from her a while ago and they do a pretty good job. They are made of swimsuit-type material. Maybe it breathes better than satin?

    I've got Nadia's email if you want it - email me. (She's just a mom working out of her home.)

    Oh, and by the way wasn't yesterday your birthday???

    ReplyDelete