Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Sugar and Spice


You know hair is a topic of conversation in your house when your 22-month-old randomly walks up to you and says "shea butter." What? I cracked up. I said, "Did you say shea butter?" Avena shook her head yes and said, "Shea butter. Hair." Too much. I bought shea butter a couple weeks ago at a fundraiser for a new African village exhibit at Habitot, the children's museum in Berkeley. The event was nice - East African food for lunch, music, dancing, a fashion show, and lots of lovely African accents. The event was organized by a Kenyan woman, and once we arrived Ben and I quickly realized that the whole afternoon was going to run on Africa Time. We had almost forgotten about Africa Time (unexplained three hour delays, people showing up really late and wondering why you were early)!
The pictures are from making sugar cookies today. Of course, Avena is entirely in favor of any activity that involves making a big mess. She couldn't have been happier to help with the flour, and in the bottom photo she was eating sprinkles by the spoonful. In the middle shot, she had emptied out her shopping cart and found an empty carton of butter that she "shops" for on a regular basis. Apparently the cookies needed more butter. I thought she would go crazy with the sprinkles, but she started putting them on individually. Sprinkles one at a time - I guess that's an option.
Avena has an awesome older sister, Madi. Hi Madi! Madi's mom was nice enough to make us a little photo album with pictures of Madi inside, and Avena has started carrying it around the house and looking at the pictures and saying "Mandi! Mandi!" Yesterday she ate dinner with her photo album!

I'm sure there are lots of other things to catch you up on, but it's late. I'll post some some vacation photos soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment