Thursday, August 13, 2009

Two Miles and A Mule





Well, in this case, Ben was the mule as Avena rode in style during her first hike in Lake Tahoe. I think her favorite part was sitting on a rock and eating chicken, but she tolerated the whole production like a trooper. We didn't get to stay quite long enough, but a short break is better than no break at all. Of course, the scenery was beautiful, and I even squeezed in a historic fieldtrip (yes, I love tiny goofy museums and people in period costumes). Avena seems a lot older these days. She has lots of new facial expressions and sounds, and of course, lots of opinions.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of fun! I don't think I ever emailed to thank you for the photo CD, the adorable headbands, and the guide book! Your note gave a me a chuckle, too.

    Aveena looks so happy so do you both! What a beautiful family you make. Can you believe it has been 6 months since we met our girls? Seems like it was only yesterday, and at the same time like it was so long ago.

    The kids and I are reading The Wind in the Willows and we read the passage today where Rat and Mole are lost in a snowstorm in the Wild Wood when they find Badger's home and are rescued. It reminded me of how I felt after coming home from Ghana:

    "In the embracing light and warmth, warm and dry at last, with weary legs propped up in front of them and a suggestive clink of plates being arranged on the table behind, it seemed to the storm-driven animals, now in safe anchorage, that the cold and trackless Wild Wood just left outside was miles and miles away, and all that they had sufferd in it a half-forgotten dream."

    I'm thankful to have you two as the pleasant part of that half-forgotten dream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! Hope you all are doing great and had lots of fun on your trip! Lot's of opinions, sounds just like her sister!=)

    ReplyDelete