Friday, April 17, 2009

I Love America

Hi all. This is Aimee. Ben was kind enough to post some photos and a message yesterday. I have been knocked out with some "welcome back" issues since our return (apparently I had become pretty adjusted to Ghana, because these American bacteria are killing my digestive system!). Anyhow, I finally feel back to my "normal" self tonight, so I thought I would check in. As Ben said, we arrived on Saturday. Of course, we missed our connection at JFK on Friday, and had to spend the night in New York. How could we not miss the connection? It was just that kind of trip. I think it ended up being a good thing in the end, because we all needed the rest. Luckily, we sat next to a gem of a man on the way from Accra to New York. His name was Solomon and he was a pediatrician in Ghana before he and his family relocated to Atlanta. He now owns an African market, so he talked with great gusto about yams (a subject dear to my heart). Luckily, he loves kids and didn't mind being seated next to a 6-month old! I was also lucky to have Sandy Garzia working on our flight, and it was a pleasure to meet her and talk to her.

Like the intrepid travelers before her, Avena really liked the bassinet available on the international leg of the trip. It gave her a place to hang out, and it gave my mom and I short breaks as well. My mom was a HUGE help while we traveled. I don't think we could have done it without her (Kerry: how did you pull that off by yourself? You rock.).

As Ben mentioned, Avena is quickly getting acclimated and enjoying all the trappings of being a kid in America (car seats! high chairs! exersaucers!). Our first doctor visit went just fine, and we will do some follow-up blood work in the coming week.

I must put in a brief plug for the San Francisco Bay Area - this place is amazing. Not only is it absolutely beautiful in the springtime, but it is a true pleasure to be back. In Ghana we were stared at a LOT and while people were friendly, we felt like we were constantly explaining adoption to strangers who couldn't take their eyes off of us. After a while, this made everyday errands tiresome. It is just grand to be back in a place where the people are so open, and where we don't feel so conspicuous. I actually feel like we blend in. It's nice, to say the least.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I'm sorry you were welcomed back to America like you were welcomed to Ghana, but I am glad you are home!

    It is funny when I think of all the staring we dealt with in Ghana. We still get second looks sometimes, but on the whole it has been much less than I expected. I have noticed that sometimes people gush a bit more than they normally would over her if she were a white baby with a white mama. But, that's OK. We just soak it up and enjoy it. :)

    Enjoy your time at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how you coped with such a long trip in a small area. I thought the trips I took to Hanford with Bri were long enough.

    Thankfully more and more families are blended in the Bay Area and we are therefore used to seeing blended families. All of Bri's friends are so blended I have gotten used to seeing 4 differnt (nationality) grandparents for the same kid. Avena is very blessed because she was chosen by you and Ben or as my family would say you were chosen by Avena.
    xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you guys are home and this part of the journey is now a pleasant (is it pleasant yet? :) memory. Hopefully when Grace is home we can all meet up?

    ReplyDelete