Thursday, April 30, 2009

Settling In





We've almost been home three weeks now. Despite having a big few weeks, things are feeling pretty darn normal. Avena has met lots of new people - including Grandma Sharon, Grandpa Allan, Aunt Dena, Aunt Laurie, the Kihs clan, Uncle Allen, Tom and Kendra, all the neighbors, the WSA crew, and all the ladies at Salinas Valley Memorial Hospital. Grandma Teresa and Popi Goni will arrive this weekend from Wisconsin. Thanks to everyone for the hearty welcome home.
We've survived multiple visits to the doctor, which included one shot, a tb test, and blood work. Yikes. We're happy to report that we found daycare that we think we'll really like. Avena will be in the "ducklings" class starting in mid-may and I will try to make myself useful at work once again.
Most exciting of all, I got an incredibly overdue haircut. I walked into my normal salon and the woman who cuts my hair, Noemi, said, "Oh my god, you need me. Sit down." How come nobody told me I looked that bad? In an effort to replace all of my Ghana clothes, I went shopping "mom" style for the first time. This involved buying one of every shirt that I thought I might like at Target (without trying them on) and hoping for the best. Classy, I know. Oh, I also bought two pairs of "casual" flip flops and one pair of "dress" flip flops.
The second photo in this post captures one of Avena's favorite pastimes at the moment - admiring herself in the mirror and kissing her reflection. Too funny.

2 comments:

  1. Hey guys, i'm so glad you posted something...been wondering how things are going. Avena looks like a little princess!! i love the pics. And your hair Aimee, c'mon let's see it ;-) oh, guess what? we have a court date in a few weeks, yeah!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, your hair was always up in Ghana, so I hadn't noticed how long it had gotten! :) Mine is way overdue, too...but still OK.

    You know I love Avena's favorite pasttime. If I were as cute as she is...I'd spend all my time kissing my reflection, too.

    So good to hear how things are going!

    ReplyDelete