
So, when you go to the Google website in the States, it's just called Google. When you go to the Google website in Ghana, it's called Google Ghana. This works just fine, since Ghana was colonized by the British and is officially an English-speaking country. Well, for some reason we've entered new territory in Elmina. While we're still in Ghana, if you pull up Google it goes to Google Israel. Weird. I don 't know where we're being routed through, but all the text on our computer is in Hebrew! This makes basic navigation slightly more complicated (and involves a lot of guessing).
Avena has combined her two favorite activities, blowing bubbles with spit and eating prunes, into a new ladylike hobby: blowing prune spit while she eats. It is both disgusting and hilarious. It may give Ben a heart attack (you know he's a neat freak).
We met a lovely man, John, and his wife this morning. They are Americans and lived in the Bay Area for many years (I knew I would like him because he was wearing a Cal t-shirt). John used to administer the Mormon temple in Oakland. He now administers the Mormon temple in Accra. There are many Mormon churches in Africa, but there are only three Mormon temples on the continent. John also does a great deal of aid work through his church. He is 70 years old and this is his 5th year in-country. He says it can be hard, but it's better than sitting at home! How cool is that?
One more quick story. After our Visa was denied, word spread quickly through the staff at our hotel back in Accra. We know them all by now, and they have been very sweet to Lydia and Avena. So, the next morning we were eating breakfast and commiserating with Joseph (our waiter) and Prince (hotel security). We were explaining the DNA process and all the details of the previous day. As Joseph got ready to leave he said, "I wish I were small and you were fighting for me." That pretty much sums it up.
Wait until she blows booger bubbles in public. Now thats a treat!
ReplyDeleteWhen we were leaving that morning, Joseph was really surprised and sad to hear that you all weren't going also. Erik says he's awfully sweet even if he occassionally has an "eye" problem. HA! FYI - I discovered he has a child (maybe two). I believe her name is Cornelia.
ReplyDeleteWow - what a powerful and touching comment from Joseph. One to remember for sure! I think I might have a fix for your Google issue - try entering the address directly in your browser as http://www.google.com.gh
ReplyDeleteWhen I do that, I go straight to Google Ghana, and if I type http://www.google.co.il I go to Google Israel. Hopefully this will help! :)