Friday, March 13, 2009

Modern.. or Not


So, as you know, Africans carry everything on their heads. I mean, everything. Insane stacks of fruit, palm fronds, bowls and baskets, etc. But today, I saw the best thing of all time. A guy was walking with a laptop case balanced on his head. I wish I had a picture to portray the visual - but just imagine a modern black laptop bag with the long strap (in most cases, used for carrying)cascading down his back. For some reason, this image really sums up Africa. Modern, and not modern at all.
I posted a photo of the huge wooden canoes used for fishing here. Seeing the crews taking these out to sea, as well as pulling in enormous nets with fish, is pretty cool (not as cool as a guy carrying a laptop bag on his head, though). In the background of the photo you can see the remnants of colonial architecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment